It is always better to have an emergency plan to prevent the occurrence of a fire than lose your investment. The following are some guidelines which you can use for your fire safety prevention.
Preventive Maintenance Procedures
- Install a fire suppression system in the kitchen. This system can help suppress flames by automatically dispensing chemicals. Always see to it that your fire suppression system is also well maintained. The fire suppression system installed in your restaurant is required to undergo inspection as part of your security measures.
- Have fire extinguishers in different areas of your restaurant. These portable fire fighting items can come in handy whenever a small fire starts and can still be controlled. You need a Type K extinguisher on hand near the grill or fryer to help put out cooking oil fires.
- Always have a regular maintenance of electrical wirings and equipment. Another cause of kitchen fires is the electrical wirings and equipment. Always check with your contractor for any frayed cords or electrical wiring, cracked or broken switch and other combustible electrical materials.
- Have your kitchen exhaust systems regularly inspected. NFPA-96 Standard calls for a regular inspection of the kitchen exhaust systems installed in commercial kitchens. This can be done monthly, quarterly, semi-annually or annually. It is done to prevent grease build-up which can also cause a fire in the kitchen.
Proper Staff Training Procedures
- Train your staff to be familiar and to use fire extinguishers. Conduct pieces of training and seminars on the proper use of fire extinguishers as these can be of great help when an emergency arises.
- Always inform your staff to clean the kitchen equipment regularly.
- Inform your staff of proper disposal of cigarettes. Tell them also not to smoke near storage areas and make sure that cigarettes are out before disposing of them in trash bins.
- Handle chemicals properly. This goes especially to fire igniting chemicals. Always place them in well-ventilated areas and keep them away from supplies, food supplies or any source of flames.